Saturday, June 8, 2013

6/8 Saturday Rave

HIGH-WAISTED SHORTS


You can give yourself a high-five if you have already expanded your wardrobe with high-waisted shorts. The current summer trend originated via the DIY method by taking an old pair of Levi jeans and cutting them down into cut-off shorts. From there, the trend took off with artists destroying the denim and adding embellishments to them as they please. Eventually retail stores began to add more high-waisted merchandise to their inventories as high-waisted shorts became more and more popular, not to mention how fabulous they look paired with crop tops as that trend continues to skyrocket as well.

I began my quest to acquaint myself with this trend in high-waisted shorts by buying my first couple pairs at Charlotte Russe. These were not the typical denim high-waisted shorts, however. I bought a skin-tight pair of black shorts and white lace shorts with a floral design. Dipping my toes into this new and exciting trend, I still wasn't sure if this was a trend I felt comfortable pulling off.

Alas, as summer approached, I began to scour the mall for a pair of high-waisted denim shorts. I found many high-rise shorts, but they weren't high enough for my standards plus my lack of booty didn't fill them out. Finally, I became frustrated enough that I looked to retailers at Etsy for my first pair of high-waisted shorts.


I must say that my obsession over high-waisted shorts has only increased with my latest edition of denim shorts. They are simple and just a little frayed, but they keep everything classy and just a little sexy for the summer months ahead.

Depending on your style, high-waisted shorts can be neat and clean, with a series of buttons down the middle giving off a nautical look, or high-waisted shorts can be frayed, damaged and covered in studs and cheetah spots giving off a more free-spirit look.


High-waisted shorts are most commonly paired with crop tops. However, if you don't wish to show off that much skin, the key is to tuck in your top in order to emphasize the high waist. I especially like the look of tucking in a button-down tank or long-sleeved shirt, which creates a more polished look. For colder weather, black tights look pleasing underneath a pair of high-waisted shorts as well.

Like with any shorts, depending on how dressy or casual they are, you can virtually wear them anywhere. From summer concerts to days at the beach with your friends and night time bonfires to dinner dates and graduation parties, you would not be out of place wearing these stylish shorts.

It is safe to say I am now officially obsessed with high-waisted shorts, and I believe everybody should invest in at least one pair. But believe me, once you make the switch to high-waisted, you'll never want to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment